Re: Bending Copper Tubing

To: Sumner Weisman <sweisman@gis.net>
Subject: Re: Bending Copper Tubing
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:16:26 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sumner (etal),
Considering the size of oil pressure gauge tubing:

1. I doubt you will find sand fine enough to get into the tubing and then get
out once you have made the bend.  This is a good idea when you are
dealing with larger tubing sizes.
2. If you are looking for precise bends, (although I can't imagine that would
be the case with routing an oil pressure gauge line) the socket idea is
good.
3. I have never seen a tubing bender with a small enough mandrel to work with
tubing this small.

Therefore, I stick with my original suggestion of doing it by hand.  Unless you
want to make a really severe bend, you will have no problem with
collapsing or kinking of the line.  The propensity of tubing to collapse or
kink is directly proportional to the size of the tubing.  In other words,
the smaller the tubing, the small the diameter you can bend it to without
having to worry about it collapsing.

Good Luck!

Joe