Re: TR6 Geneology

To: jlumia@ball.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Geneology
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:25:26 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/01 12:34:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jlumia@ball.com
writes:

> I have a 76 TR6 with comm. no. CF53417U and an engine number CF42183UE.
> After doing a little research, a few sources suggest that for the 1975 year
> the comm numbers go from CF35001 to CF39991 and engine numbers start at
> CF35001.  For the 1976 year the comm numbers go from CF50001 to CF58328 and
> engine numbers start at CF50001.  So my question is assuming that they made
> the same number of engines as cars, where does my engine fit in?  Do I have
> a 75 or 76 engine?

Hello John
Like Peter, I highly recommend you get the BMIHT cert. for you car. In the
meantime I will engage in idle speculation concerning some points of
useless trivia:  ;-)
My 73 TR6 is CF870U and according to its BMIHT cert. it left the factory
with engine # CF1015UE. This would be very early in the production run
of CF cars and CF engines. I have always speculated that Triumph made
more CF engines than CF TR6s (some of the engines finding their way
into TVR 2500Ms) and that one could expect to find cars with engine
numbers slightly higher than commission numbers (at least when they
were new) as is the case with my car. Then we see later cars with engine
numbers much lower than their commission numbers. Could this be because
the assigned commision number sequence has gaps between model years
and the engine number sequence has no gaps ? or different gaps ?
hope somebody can answer that one.

BTW isn't it neat that Peter Z. has (presumably) the 18th from the last TR6
made on the last day ? way cool IMHO.

Cheers

Jack Mc
73 TR6
2 69 GT6+s
70 GT6+
"A gentleman does not motor about after dark" Joseph Lucas