Crankcase ventilation question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crankcase ventilation question
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:51:14 -0400
Hi All.
        My 3A has a 4A block, which does not have the conventional road
draft tube for simple ( if environmentally devious) disposal of ' crankcase
breath '.  The car has a 4A valve cover, which has a medium sized brass plug
approximately in the center/top surface.   In addition, the oil filler cap
is the ' vent to air ' style, and as a result it seems that my only
remaining path for crankcase ventilation is this mesh-filled cap.  After a
fairly short time, I see a film of crankcase distillate building up around
the cap,  and also suspect that this is responsible for the occasional whiff
of 'eau d' blow-by'  which overpowers my little green scented tree.
        The original road tube is completely missing, and in its place is a
very well seated plug, ( looks like a mini-freeze-out) which would be a
royal PITA to remove.  Should I remove the brass plug on the valve cover and
make up a top-fitted road draft tube, and change the filler cap to a
non-vented model?   I do not consider the blow-by issue to be serious enough
to warrant engine tear-down, but I would like to reduce the present level of
external engine lubrication.
Your thoughts?
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A  TS36967