Re: To stir things up a bit ...

To: TexasTR4@aol.com, CC50506@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To stir things up a bit ...
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:50:31 -0500
>In a message dated 4/20/2001 1:23:33 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
>CC50506@aol.com writes:
> > Who else makes a cool "6"?  Even some "4"s today make more power than the
> > 2.5, even with PI!

There are a few.

Mercedes engine #104. This is a straight six, 3.2 liters (there was a 3.0
liter version and probably a 2.8 as well), dual overhead cam, Bosch
multiport fuel injection. Good for 225 DIN horsepower in stock form with
enough torque to keep the 4500 pound S320 from feeling slow. Insanely
reliable. This engine was used from 1990 until 1998 in the E320 etc. Its
predecessor (engine #103- found in the 300E etc.) shares the same bottom
end but is SOHC and has the older Bosch  continuous fuel injection (CIS-E).
Mercedes replaced this engine with a VEE six (go figure) that is
interesting because it has two spark plugs per cylinder.

The 1997 Aston Martins were equipped with a supercharged straight six
engine. Based on the DOHC Jaguar XK engine found in most Jaguars built
since the 1950's, this was probably the ultimate development of engine
found in the XK120,  E-Type, and XJS. This engine was an interim solution
for Aston Martin. They are now using a V12.

You should reconsider BMW engines. I don't think you have to wear a
turtleneck unless there is a BMW badge on the outside of the car. Their
recent M3 engine is a masterpiece. It's a DOHC straight six with VANOS
variable valve timing and tweaked multiport fuel injection.

-Erik
--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com