TR4 Fan Belt Installation, other Questions

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Fan Belt Installation, other Questions
From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:23:25 -0400
Hello all-

I was installing my new fan belt yesterday in my TR4, (thanks for the NAPA
#s!), and following hte Haynes manual.  Those of you who own TR4s will
recall what it looks like up there- above hte fan belt crankshaft there is a
cylindrical cross beam, and below the crankshaft is the rack and pinion
steering unit.  According to the Haynes manual, you "remove the 3 screws on
each side of hte cross piece, and then move the cross piece to the side"
which will give you space to put the fan belt past the fan hub onto the
crankshaft pulley- yet on my car what is in the way ist he rack and pinion,
not this cross member.  The cross member has like 4" of clearance on the fan
hub, while the rack and pinion has about 0.25".  It appears to me that teh
Haynes manual is wrong with reference to my car

Questions-
-Is my car really oddly layed out (motor 3" lower than it should be?), or is
the Haynes manual wrong?

-What I did- I carefully whittled out two of hte cogs on the belt, which
made it narrow enough in one spot to fit between the cranskshaft and the
rack adn pinion- was this OK?   Is this a terrible idea? (I have another
belt to replace it with if this was a terrible move)

-What is the correct (non whittling) mehtod for getting the fan belt past
the rack and pinion?  Remove the fan (and radiator)?  Move the rack and
pinion (aggh!)?

Thanks all!

Noah

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution,
copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
by reply e-mail and then destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions,
business of Bain & Company shall be understood to be neither given
nor endorsed by the Company.  When addressed to Bain clients, any
information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions
in the governing client contract.