Re: TR4 Fan Belt Installation, other Questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Fan Belt Installation, other Questions
From: "KENNETH A. vonKLUCK" <KAVONKLU@defrees.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:42:13 -0500
Dear Noah,  I believe that the easiest way to change the fan belt is to go to
your nearest TR-4 knowledgeable mechanic and let him loosen the motor mounts,
jack up the motor and install the new belt.  I have owned my TR-4 since new and
many years ago when the motor mounts were new and I could get the correct size
fan belt from the parts department of the local Triumph dealer this was an easy
fix.  If you decide to jack up the motor yourself (when I tried this I only
managed to lift the entire front end using the oil pan as a jacking point) and
you can insert washers between the mounts and the frame you may be able to
create the needed clearance for the next time the fan belt has to be replaced.
Some time ago, and before following the procedure recommended above,  I posed
the cog removal idea to the list.  The responses were not enthusiastic.  The
problem arises because the only replacement belts now available are too thick
and currently available motor mounts are too thin.  Best of luck and I hope you
enjoy your TR-4.
Ken von Kluck, CT20590L since new.