Re: TR7 BFH -- suspension tips?

To: "INTERNET:sbollen@att.net" <sbollen@att.net>
Subject: Re: TR7 BFH -- suspension tips?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:21:59 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <Eganb@aol.com>, "[unknown]" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "[unknown]" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:sbollen@att.net
>What can happen if the sway bar is tightened when the wheels are off the
ground?
I'm pretty certain that when I rebushed the front end, thats what I did
Stu
<

Stu,  when using rubber bushes the rubber stretches as the suspension moves
about its normal travel.  When you tighten up the bushing bolts this sets
the relaxed, unstretched condition at the full extend position and the
normal, loaded position has some stretch in it and full compression has
even more.  If you tighten up the bolts at the normal, loaded position the
rubber will be relaxed at the normal suspension position and will stretch
one way or the other as the suspension moves about its normal travel.  I
guess the rubber will last longer if the latter condition is used.

Of course, if you use poly bushings you needn'e worry as the poly bushings
don't stretch.  Instead the inner sleeve rotates inside the poly bushing
(which is why it squeeks if you don't grease it).

Dave