RE: To restore or not to restore?

To: Evan Johnstone <eeesjay@hotmail.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: To restore or not to restore?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 13:32:27 -0700
Evan :

I agree with Fred, if your girlfriend is going to walk out, better now than
later.  My wife always said she would much rather have me in the garage,
than on a barstool somewhere.

Cost is largely up to you.  If you want every single thing to be absolutely
perfect, as good or better than new, then you can expect to spend upwards of
$20,000 on parts, and countless thousands of hours of time.  But, if you
just want a car that looks nice from 10 feet away, that you can drive
anywhere, that can be done for much less money and time.  As just one
example : a NOS (new old stock, ie an original part that has never been
used) grill will run $500 or more (if you can even find one), a nice
reproduction that only another Triumph nut can tell from NOS will cost
around $130, and a perfectly adequate used reproduction will cost under $50.

My suggestion is to get the car running and drivable in minimalist fashion
(don't spend a lot of money, but don't butcher the car either), then make a
decision as to what _you_ want to do.  If a full, 100 point restoration
still seems like a good idea, then go for it !  If you do, you'll be redoing
pretty much all the work you've done so far, but it hasn't been wasted.
You'll have learned a lot about the car, how to work on it, and what your
feelings about it are.  And maybe even have found out something important
about your girl friend !

BTW, it's not obvious, but the wires from the front turn signals go to
connectors near the horns.  It's actually very easy to disconnect the wires
from the connectors, pull the lights out through the grill (or just remove
the grill complete with lights, if that's your goal), then put the wires
back later.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver