Re: Electrical question...

To: phil@pattengale.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical question...
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 17:17:23 EDT
In a message dated 05-May-01 02:08:02 Eastern Daylight Time,
phil@pattengale.org writes:

> Anyways, my question is: I've got a 300W inverter I use to power things in
> the Explorer, and wondered what would happen if I simply reversed it's
> connections (thumb screws and spade connector wire to the positive and
> negative connections)....
>
> Would that work?  What would I fry?  If it works, I could simply drop a
> boombox behind the seats and listen to whatever without trying to install
> something permamently.
>
> Is there another way to hook up modern stereo equipment without changing the
> car's ground?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts....

Phil, been there, done that.  In '91 I installed an inverter and blocking
diode to enable me to use my new neg ground radio.  Cost me $150 and some
time.  When it failed in '99, I bit the bullet and converted the car over to
negative ground.  Very simple to do (you need to switch the connectors on the
ammeter and "flash" the generator) and everything else works just fine.
Except that you can now hook up any modern radio/electrical equipmen that you
need.

Suggest that you just convert the car to negative ground and install the
radio.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT 33118L (original owner/factory pickup)