Re: speedometers etc.

To: "Bob Rochlin" <rochlin@massed.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: speedometers etc.
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 19:30:48 -0400
Subject: speedometers etc.

> >     According to Bentley the unit is supposed to come out with the
loosing of
> one bolt, but my transmission hasn't read the Manuel and refuses to give
up
> the pinion gear.
>     Has any one tried to get the pinion gear out?  Any success?
>     Thanks for your indulgence.
> Bob Rochlin
> 72' TR 6

Bob,

I do following to remove speedometer bearing with gear:

Remove the bolt.

Screw the speedometer cable on.

Use a very large screwdriver with blade under the lip of the speedometer
cable nut to pry out the bearing with gear.

There is a photo of the operation at this website:
http://www.nextek.net/BuckeyeTriumphs/   Click technical button, then click
TR250 - TR6 gearbox disassembly.

You should consider replacing the oil seal inside the bearing as well as the
O ring on the outside.

Good luck

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (assembling after new paint)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)