No Reverse Lights

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Subject: No Reverse Lights
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 10:07:41 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs@autox. Team. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "R. Ashford Little II"
>My TR6's reverse lights don't work.   We checked and
12v were coming in and out of the unit on the
transmission, also verified power at the socket and
finally changed the bulbs as well.  The only thing out
of the ordinary was the amount of resistance the device
on the transmission showed.  Any ideas?
<

Ashford,  When you measured the 12 volts were all the connections
to the reverse lamps still connected.  If you have an ohmic connection
(dirty, corroded contacts, etc) then the voltage drop across the connection

is a function of the current flow.  Since the volt meter draws much less
current than does the bulbs you will not see the same symptoms if the
bulbs are disconnected.

If everything is connected and you have 12 volts all the way back to the
bulbs then I would suspect the ground connections.  Often times the bulb
socket itself is at fault.  I wound up replacing the sockets on my TR6
because the corrosion on the bulb socket grounds could not be rectified
reliably.

Good luck

Dave Massey