Re: "Herald 13/75"

To: <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Herald 13/75"
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 09:29:41 EDT
In a message dated Mon, 7 May 2001  7:05:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "John
Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk> writes:

<< ...considering the next move to creating a Herald
13/75 Coupe. A 13/60 convertible has come up for disposal (free) to a good
home...and I'm contemplating replicating it into a 13/75 conversion as
undertaken at the Western Avenue Service division in London....

How would VTR view such a beast if it turned up in the US (and others,
especially UK Sports Six members) who might see the replication as sacrilege to
an original car? My own thoughts are that this is a worthwhile project to the
memory of Standard Triumph's former Chief
Inspector Jock Brown who instigated them - though few, if any original examples
survive....[S]hould I replicate the song "and do it anyway?" >>

John, at "worst," such a car would be judged in a "modified" class in VTR
Concours judging unless it could be documented as an original "Jock Brown"
conversion. On the other hand, and depending on the experience of a given
judging team and captain as well as interpretation of VTR's judging rules, the
car you propose might JUST squeak in under "stock class" rules in that all
components would have been either "catalogued options" or correct "period
accessories." (The toughest call would be the removal of top/frame/well area,
etc., not so much the addition of the SAH hardtop.)

That said, I like the idea. In all honesty, I have contemplated a somewhat
similar course of action when and if I get around to restoring the Herald 1200
Coupe I picked up last year. I wouldn't necessarily be doing anything that
couldn't have been done by the factory, dealer or owner using all Triumph bits;
meanwhile, I'd be preserving a car that otherwise might have been broken for
spares with the rest ground up and eventually made into bits of new car. I
mean, considering what little is left of the original dash and most of the
interior trim on this Herald, anything (short of orange shag carpeting) will be
a vast improvement over its present, sadly neglected condition! ;-)

--Andy Mace