"Herald 13/75"

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Herald 13/75"
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 00:01:52 +0100
Input from the purists would be appreciated.
Now that project number one is all but finished, I find myself with
time on hands and am considering the next move to creating a Herald
13/75 Coupe.
A 13/60 convertible has come up for disposal (free) to a good home
(been garaged for last 2 years, prior to which it was in regular daily
use) and I'm contemplating replicating it into a 13/75 conversion as
undertaken at the Western Avenue Service division in London.
Broadly, the spec was:
Full Spitfire engine, overdrive, knock-on wire wheels, Vitesse
instrumentation, polished wood door cappings and Sid Hurrell hardtop
(was SAH) if I can locate one still lying around. By making the
hardtop a permanent fitting, the soft top gets thrown out and the
empty soft top well is removed to install the narrower rear seat found
on the original factory Herald Coupe.
These special order cars - among which were Vitesse Coupes and Vitesse
Estates -
sold for almost double their conventional equivalents and (IMHO) were
some of the prettiest Herald variants ever made.
Car is currently Signal Red (not my favourite) with a white
sidestripe - so I may emulate one of Mr Brown's original colour combos
and change the white sidestripe to one in metallic silver.
How would VTR view such a beast if it turned up in the US (and others,
especially UK Sports Six members) who might see the replication as
sacrilege to an original car? My own thoughts are that this is a
worthwhile project to the memory of Standard Triumph's former Chief
Inspector Jock Brown who instigated them - though few, if any original
examples survive. Admittedly, this conversion was not done at the
factory itself but the London Service Division - so I may be in a
minority for turning a Herald into a car that was never officially
offered as part of the range. Whaddya think or should I replicate the
song "and do it anyway?"

Jonmac