Re: trailing arm bushings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: trailing arm bushings
From: jluke@unm.edu (James Luke)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:52:27 -0600 (MDT)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:42:13 -0400
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: trailing arm bushings

>Message text written by "Rod MacLeod"
>>Can the trailing arm bushings be removed by lowering the front of the arms
>>out of the brackets leaving everything else attached to them and pressing
>>them out on the car or does the whole trailing arm have to be removed from
>>the car as described in the Bentley manual.

Dave Massey replied:
>I suppose you could if you have a really big C-clamp.  The only problem is
>that it will take a significant amount of pressure to push the old out and
>the new in.  I usually use a vice.  Either way the two socket wrench
>technique is recommended*.

>*One large socket big enough for the bushing to be pushed into and one
>small enough to fit the bore of the trailing arm.

I did it with a piece of all thread small enough to fit inside
the bolt hole in the bushing (3/8"?), and long enough to go through
both bushings.  Put a large washer on one side, and one small enough
to fit inside the bore of the trailing arm on the other, and pull
the bushing through.  It isnt too hard if you cut the lip off the
old bushing first.  You could use all thread with the double socket
technique mentioned above, if you have sockets the right size (I didnt).

Jim
66 TR4A (new poly bushings)
59 TR3A