Re: trailing arm bushings

To: James Luke <jluke@unm.edu>
Subject: Re: trailing arm bushings
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:43:17 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by James Luke
>I did it with a piece of all thread small enough to fit inside
the bolt hole in the bushing (3/8"?), and long enough to go through
both bushings.  Put a large washer on one side, and one small enough
to fit inside the bore of the trailing arm on the other, and pull
the bushing through.  It isnt too hard if you cut the lip off the
old bushing first.  You could use all thread with the double socket
technique mentioned above, if you have sockets the right size (I didnt).
<

The TR7/8 has a bushing on the trailing arm that is about 2 inches in
diameter.  I got it out by selecting a drill bit that barely fits between
the inner and outer metal parts and drilled out sections of rubber until it
was weakened enough to pull out by hand (with the help of a pair of vice
grips).

Alternate methods involve an acetylene torch and a bunch of rubber smoke.

Dave