Re: Restarting GT6 part 3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: Restarting GT6 part 3
From: "Rave Racer" <Ravewar@home.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 20:24:03 -0400
> Paul :
>
> Strombergs are not my forte, I'm more of a SU man, so I'm relying on the
> similarities (and observation of other people's cars) here.  The choke
> actually moves the fuel jet lower, relative to the carb body.  On the ZS,
> believe there is a fairly complicated linkage, with a rod that runs
through
> the carb body, but that's still the net effect.  I believe you'll find
that
> there is a funny shaped lever on the side of the carbs, with the choke
cable
> attached.  You should be able to move the lever to the full choke position
> by hand with the choke off.  With the choke full on, the lever should be
> against the stop, you shouldn't be able to move it any further by hand.
The
> clip that holds the body of the choke cable is actually an adjustment, so
if
> it slips or was reassembled wrong, the choke will not be adjusted any
more.
> It's not unusual for the clips to break, either.
>
> BTW, the necessity for starting ether indicates the mixture is too lean
for
> starting.  Float problems almost always result in being too rich, in fact
> incorrect adjustment or flat out clogging (which doesn't seem to be your
> problem) are the only things that could cause the float to cause the
mixture
> to be too lean.  That's why I think your problem is more likely choke
> related.
>
> Randall

        Funny, I get called Paul quite alot actually, but I'm Pete...  no
harm done    : )

    So you think that it is most likely something slipped inside the carbs,
or on the rod outside the carbs that is attached to the choke lever.  Does
this sound right?  I'll check right now......        45 mins later, two
beers and a friendly neighbourly chat......     I see the choke cables come
down in two places, one for each carb.  The front one is in contact with the
screw that is attached to the rod that goes through both carbs.  The rear
one has a fair amount of play in it before it comes in contact with said
rod.  I think this sounds like what you're describing.  I ran it again and
this time put vice grips on the choke cable to hold it while I checked the
car out.  For the first two minutes it idled nicely at 1000 RPM, then
increased slightly.  I let the choke out to halfway and it started to come
down like it was drowning out.  It stayed there again till I let the choke
out all the way and then it died.
        I don't know how important any of this is, but you said there was an
adjustment that I could play with for the choke.  Did you mean the ones
where the cables come down and are supposed to contact that rod, or is it on
the rod somewhere?  Or does this sound more like a gas quality problem?
        Do you know anything about hydraulics?
                    Thanks again for the info.  Without your and lists help,
this car wouldn't be running right about now.
                                                Pete.

---