First Road Trip: 95% successful && top questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: First Road Trip: 95% successful && top questions
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:08:39 -0700
<unlurk>

Hi all,

Finally finished repairing all the things that fell off during my first
road trip.  'Twas a 3-day jaunt down to Grand Coulee, WA from here
(French Beach, BC, Canada).  The skinny: Interstates suck, but winding
mountain roads are very enjoyable.

My alternator decided to fail on the return trip, but that is why
Canadian Tire is open until 6 on Sundays.  Incidentally the alternator
from an '81 chevette fits a TR4.  And it only takes about an hour to
install, including time taken to trick the parts kid into selling me
one!

Anyway, the purpose of this email (aside from being able to sob about my
poor departed alternator) - I would like to install webbing on my top
frame, but I don't remember how it goes onto the metal part.

As it stands right now I have "bare metal" on my top frame (there's a
bit of paint but not much else)  Questions:

1) Glossy paint, satin or matte?  I know it's supposed to be a "biscuit"
color.  (Fred: yes, I will have them powder coated, someday)
2) Webbing: anchored by metal plates.  Is there anything on top of the
metal plate?  I'm leaning toward the "yes" side, so that the screw heads
don't wear holes in the top.  What should I put there?  Vinyl?  Velcro
fuzzy?  Short bits of spare webbing?
3) Forward bar: Is there a pad along the front bar?  The part of the top
that snaps around the forward bar is really loose.

All for now

</unlurk>
-MW