Re: Pertronix failure...

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pertronix failure...
From: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 23:42:59 +0000
Bill,

Just a note on the Pertronix system and installing points...

I installed the same set up in my 3 last year, thinking that it would be
simpler and more reliable.  But..... It failed without warning (no miss or
sputter... just died) on the annual "Run to the Gorge" trip last memorial day
weekend.

I was able to analize the problem and had a set of points to put back in....
But...I was used to the usual GM points that you just drop on on the post,
connect the wire, adjust the gap and go...

The Lucas points however have a nylon washer with a collar that isolates the
"spring end" of the points and connector wire from the pivot post on the
distributor base.
1. The points (spring) fit on the post first,
2. then the connector wire ring,
3. then the plastic washer with the collar down to isolate the wire and spring
from the post,
4. then the nut on top.
I didn't do this so my points were always shorting out to the disttributor
(ground).... rather than breaking the circut when they normally open which
would allow high voltage to flow thru the large center wire from the coil to
the plugs via the rotor.

I  learned the lesson the hard way coming home on a truck..  This year will be
different ... I hope.    Anyway, I know that others have Pertronix Ignitors
and that they work great.. so just be prepared with a backup system..... and
most of all know how to put it in.

Good luck,
Bill Hook,  57 TR3 18544L and O