TR4 Brakes/Engine Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Brakes/Engine Questions
From: Riff Brown <mrcstnr@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:50:44 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks again to this list for getting me started reviving my dad's long
dormant TR4.  Apart from the interior, things generally look in good shape.
Two questions:

1. Front Disc brakes - I was having a terrible time squeezing the cylinders
apart to slip new brake pads in, so I removed the calipers.  A local
blacksmith ("Bob") used air to pop them out, great, they looked fairly
decent and the brake fluid was pristine even after 16 years.  But Bob went
on to open one of the calipers, which I understand is undesirable.  Is it
possible to reassemble and reuse?

2. Engine - given how long the car has been sitting, Bob suggested putting a
little transmission fluid in each of the engine cylinders to loosen things
up before attempting to turn the engine by hand.  Anything wrong with this
suggestion?

Thanks - Riff