Sticky Stick Shift

To: "Crouter, Bruce CIC" <bcrouter@cicorp.sk.ca>
Subject: Sticky Stick Shift
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 19:10:01 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Crouter, Bruce CIC"
>I have had an intermittent problem with my stick shift being very stiff
going into first and second gear in my TR6.  The problem comes and goes, it
seems to get worse as the car has been running longer and is warm.

I remember a similar post years ago and someone suggested thrust washers.
If anyone has some insight into diagnosing this problem it would be most
appreciated.
<

Bruce,  It doesn't sound like thrust washers to me.  What it does sound
like is clutch hydraulics or the taper pin or even the clutch cover but not
thrust washers.

Do the easy things first. 1) bleed the clutch hydraulics.  Then check the
linkages.  Use the hole closest to the pivot on the arm on the transmission
if necessary.  Check your clevis's and pins.  If they are worn, replace.

Only after doing all this should you move on the checking the taper pin and
clutch cover.  These require the removal of the transmission.

If you suspect the thrust washers are bad, check them but they won't cause
this problem.

Good luck

Dave Massey
St. Louis MO USA