Re: another welding question

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: another welding question
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:29:42 -0400
Cliff Hansen wrote: (regarding .030 wire on 14ga steel)

> I'll check my wire size, but sounds like wire too fast, heat too low.

Hmm, the welder I rented, a Miller 100-something, had a
four-position heat range control and a continuous feed-speed
control.  I believed that the speed control also varied the
current.  I had set both according to the guide on the inside
cover.  No matter where I tweaked the speed, I got high buildup
and only zero-to-slight penetration.  Setting the heat range one
step higher, I got bird's nests in the wire feeder-- too fast for
.030, I guess.

D*mn, and $300 for a stick welding course didn't prepare me.  I
guess maybe I'm going to have to fork over big $ and buy my own
machine, just to get adequate practice time.
--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,