another welding question

To: frank@kitche.zk3.dec.com
Subject: another welding question
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:43:41 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Doug,
I think the problem with that flux core junk is maintaining an arc, rather
than its diameter. If you're stuck with the flux core, I'd suggest grinding
all along the area to be welded to get it as clean as possible.
Once I ran out of gas on my MIG and so ran out and got some flux core since
the gas place was closed - what a disappointment. I had trouble getting
penetration on 20 gauge! Now with the shielding gas and .023 wire I'm
having no trouble at all with 12 gauge (albeit with the current on the high
setting). So if you have an opportunity to switch to gas shielding, I'd
highly recommend it. Again though keeping the work clean is key.
Also, be sure to travel more slowly along the seam than you think you should.
Hope this is of some help.
Jim
http://www.triumphaddenda.com
From: Douglas Frank <frank@kitche.zk3.dec.com>

...I got zero penetration. I was working with 14ga sheet (.075 in) and the
feeder was loaded with .030 wire, that I'm guessing was too light. There
was plenty of buildup, way too much in fact.
Those of you who've done this successfully, what wire did you use?
thanks!
- --
- --Doug