RE: TR 8 electical problem

To: Rob Wilfong <raw8188@eriecoast.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR 8 electical problem
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:00:12 -0700
Rob :

IMO your next step should be to take a volt reading at the battery (directly
on the posts if possible), while trying to crank the engine.  If it's more
than 1-2 volts higher than at the starter, you have either a bad connection
(possibly the ground strap from the engine to the chassis) or a bad
solenoid.  My usual next step is to meter first from the battery hot post to
the starter hot post, and then from the battery ground to the starter body
(again while cranking), to identify which side of the circuit has the
problem.  Then just continue to 'divide and conquer' until you isolate the
problem.

Of course, I _never_ have starter problems <g>

Randall