Re: Door catches - Herald

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Door catches - Herald
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:54:11 +0100
Hi Andy
The anti burst part of the Herald convertible latch mechanism is a plate on
the door that engages on a socket on the body, the sole purpose of this is
to stop the latch from moving forwards away from the striker when the
convertible body flexes. they were not fitted to the saloon as the roof made
the body more rigid even though there is that chassis under it! Also the
Herald has two stage catches, make sure the door takes two clicks to close
properly, it is fairly common for people to over adjust the catches so that
they are only being held on the safety latch. I would suggest a thorough
service of the latching mechanism and to make sure you have a small (ish)
even gap at the back of the door, is the door to bonnet gap smaller than the
bulkhead (scuttle) to bonnet gap, they should be fairly equal, if not move
the door back until it is equal then move the bonnet back if necessary, this
should ensure that the two parts of the catch overlap as much as possible,
meaning that there is less chance of the body flex causing the two bits to
come apart. Another miss conception is that you need to slam a Herald door,
well adjusted they will close with the same force as any other car, My
Herald doors would close with a click click with just even pressure on the
handle once the door had touched the latch. Also never had one fly open,
even when I drove it round the local forest tracks (fast). Who me sir, I
wasn't there I didn't see it I didn't do it! ;-))
I have had the bonnet come un latched at 60 mph, that is scary as it hovers
just about flush with the top of the screen, and you can't brake or what
little you can see disappears as the bonnet lifts higher!

 Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon
1972 2.5PI Saloon