Re: Reamer Brothers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reamer Brothers
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:22:28 +0100
In article <3B0EEB70.5F7B6249@voyager.net>, Andrew H. Litkowiak
<andylit@voyager.net> writes
>Stupid questions.
>
>Every person I've spoken with or heard from who has done business with
>Rimmer has been royally screwed.

I would not say that I have been royally screwed by Rimmers.   I don't
think I've ever placed an order with them for more than a handful of
parts without something going wrong with the order, but at no time have
I suffered financially for this.   They have always made good on their
mistakes (although this can take time).

>How can this company possibly remain in business with so much bad
>press?
>
>Given the broad consensus, why in the world does anyone buy anything
>from this place?

Those two questions are effectively the same.   The answer is that they
have enormous stocks, and they make parts identification and purchase
easy through their extraordinarily helpful and detailed catalogue.   OK,
so the catalogue contains a few mistakes - their proof-readers would
have to be superhuman to have avoided that - but there is a massive
comfort factor in being able to look at illustrations of practically
everything you need, and identify each oddly-shaped widget by part
reference, *and* then find a current price for it.

Their sales & marketing is first-rate.   Their sales order processing is
of a very high standard.   Their after-sales service is often good.
Their back-order delivery estimates (which presumably come from the
Buying Department) are poor.   Their picking and packing is appalling.
Personally, if I were running Rimmers, I would fire my purchasing,
warehouse and distribution managers (assuming that these departments are
indeed three separate functions), combine the departments under a
Materials Manager, and hire someone who could ensure that the members of
this department did its job as well as its internal sales people.   The
fact that this is my profession might have some bearing on my opinion,
though...

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"