Alternator help needed

To: "'triumphs@autox. team. net' \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "TR8 List \(E-mail\)" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Alternator help needed
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 08:31:51 -0400 com>
First a brief geography session.  Please note on your maps Jacksonville
Florida and go north a bit to Fernandina Beach.  That's where I start, go
west to Callahan and follow US 23 north past Pogo's place (Okeefenokee
Swamp) all the way to Macon, up 75 through Atlanta, up 575 past the end of
the freeway through Jasper, Ellijay to Blue Ridge.  That's the destination.
Total of about 450 miles.  The area around the swamp (Folkston and Waycross)
is truly desolate.  Its Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, about 3 P.M.

Vehicle:  1980 TR8 EFI w/ AC

About 10 miles outside of Folkston the Ignition light starts to flicker and
then burn brightly.  I stop, battery voltage is normal (13.2 or 3), and
rises to about 14.4 when the car is running. Hmmm.  I continue on to
Waycross.  Pull into a Discount Auto Parts, use in situ Alternator tester
and all tests normal yet light continues to burn. Check electrical
connections, all looks good, clean battery terminals, no not spots in the
wires under dash, around fuse box, etc.  I keep going.  Stop again in
Eastman or Chochran (or thereabouts) and pull into an Advance Auto, again
use in situ alternator tester.  While testing light goes out.  All tests
normal.  It says charging is ok. (BTW its in the low 90's I have the AC
going full blast, but am otherwise limiting electrical use.)  Battery
voltage remains normal, no sign of discharge or running on the battery. 10
miles later light comes back on.   Idiot light is dim at idle and brighter
on power use and on engine revs.

No sign of discharge, no sign of over-voltage, I keep driving. By the time I
reach Canton  I have crossed a weather front, temps are in low 70's, but its
gotten dark, AC is off, headlights are on.  Voltages still read normal.

10 PM I arrive in Mineral Bluff, battery power remains normal, cranks right
up, no apparent shorts in wiring to cause light to alight, nothing
apparently wrong. Alternator does not match views in service manual, no rear
plastic cover, all metal with studs for connectors, no plug.  O.K. here come
the questions.

1.  What gives?  I suspect the fault is in the fault detection circuit and
not the charging circuit.
2. Is there an AutoZone type replacement alternator?  None of the shops I
stopped at had anything in stock, or I'da bought one and tossed in the truck
in case I died along the way.  Since its a GM engine I suspect there is a
common GM alternator to substitute.
3. Anyone BTDT got any other ideas, places to check for shorts or opens?
Even though I am deep in the woods, there is a NAPA and an Advance Auto
nearby, I have my tools,   VOM meter and manual.

Everything will be closed tomorrow so if there is a substitute I need it
today.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6 76-TR7 80-TR8  W4UCK