Re: Gearbox cover and overdrive

To: "Edward Woods" <fogbro1@home.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox cover and overdrive
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:08:28 -0500
At 09:55 PM 5/26/01 -0400, Edward Woods wrote:

>Listers,
>
>I just finished putting an 'A' type overdrive g'box in a TR250, at least I
>thought I was finished, till I dropped the new "space age plastic" cover in
>place. Big time interference with the speedo angle drive. Since this cover is
>several years old, I wonder if the newer ones fit.
>
>What's the solution? Who's "been there, done that"?

The cars that came with overdrive had 2 holes in their gearbox covers, over
which metal covers were attached. The cover over the angle drive was formed
to go around the angle drive.

When I added an A type o/d tranny to my 74 TR6, I cut holes in my
fiberglass tranny cover (this was before the "space age plastic" covers
were available), and then attached the metal covers. Been like that since
1983. Today, finding the covers might be a problem. The factory part number
for the angle drive cover on a TR6 is 809271. The other cover, designed for
access to the A type solenoid, is 705851.

Hope this helps.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 # 58