Re: f-f-f-fun!! (& top question)

To: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: f-f-f-fun!! (& top question)
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:01:10 -0400
> H-h-hi f-f-folks.
>

> So why was the top down?  Well, as I said, it was sunny out.  But also
> because my top no longer fits!  So my question: how much does that canvas
> (?) material shrink over the winter?  Or did someone stick my top in the
> dryer?  I thought it was the fault of the woman who sewed new windows in
it
> - but last night I tried to put on the tonneau and it was too small too.
> And nothing was done to that at all.
>
> So I guess I just wait for warmer weather, huh?  Any advice on stretching
> tops in the main time?
> Cheers,
> Frank

Frank,

My top, tonneau and boot are all vinyl.  These should be stretched tight
when warm.  When cold they won't stretch.  When putting any on in cold
weather I warm them up by pouring warm water over them.  For the tonneau or
boot, if I think in advance I take them inside and set them next to a warm
air register.   I used to have a pickup with tonneau over the bed.  My son
would borrow the truck and return it with tonneau cover off in the dead of
winter.   I'd pour hot water (~180  degrees F)  over it and work fast to
stretch it.  It was 9 years old now when traded and had no noticeable damage
to tonneau.

Hope this helps,

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (assembling after new paint)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)