RE: f-f-f-fun!! (& top question)

Subject: RE: f-f-f-fun!! (& top question)
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:36:16 -0400
Ha weak one! This winter I took my TR6 in for a final check over and tune-up
before inspection. Well that's what I intended, things got a little out of
hand at the garage and much money mysteriously disappeared from my bank
account before the car emerged from the shop. but I digress...

It was February in Montreal and I had to drive the car to the shop. The top
had been down for 3 years. It was minus 25 and I was NOT driving top down on
the highway. I have done it before (drove a whole winter on my Yamaha 750 to
university back in the early 80s) and choose not to repeat the experience. I
tried to raise the top. The thing was so shrunk that it wouldn't even come
down flat on the car. With pushing it was still 3" too short! I was
determined and had nothing to lose butt a shrinke rag and nothing to
maintain but my health. It took two guys to do it one side at a time. Put
one at the front in front of the door pulling on the side of the frame with
one arm and a rope to anything in front of the car in the other hand. Put
the second guy behind the door pulling on the roof frame on the vertical
section just below the pivot. It should work fine. If it went at -25 in
Quebec, it will work in NF in the spring.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend trying to eliminate guy #2 by tying a rope from a
tree in front of the car to the top frame and then backing up. Nice in
theory but would probably get you a tree branch through the windshield or
catapult the entire windshield and frame into the neighbour's swimming pool.

Good luck,

Mark Hooper
72 TR6