OD leak

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD leak
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@home.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:20:22 -0400
Hi Listers.

Need some collective input, last night I removed the gearbox to resolve a Bad
leak, (between the adapter plate and the OD) this may have been the leak I
thought was the brass plug all a long.

I had a hard time separating the two, the aviation gasket sealer I used was
holding the two together very tight.  In my attempt to separate the two I
temporarily lost my reasoning and picked up my rubber mallet and began an
attempt to drive the two apart, by hitting the shaft at the rear of the OD.
Then I realized I was driving the annulus not the main shaft.

My question is, did I mess up? Is their any thing I could have driven out of
place. The unit was attached very tight. Do I need to break it all back down.

Second, when I reassemble I will clean the two halves very well. Do I need to
completely clean and flush the entire unit to insure no oil leaks or drips on
to the cleaned surfaces or just try and clean the surfaces and apply the
sealer.

Third, what is the suggested sealer?

thanks
Ronnie Babbitt