differential repair

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: differential repair
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:57:27 -0400
I'm getting a lot of backlash in the differential on my 1980 Spit.
The one on the parts car I bought two years ago seems to be a lot
better, but there is still some play in it.  I'm thinking about
trying to recondition it myself, but I have never tackled that
before.  I notice that there is the need for several different
specialized tools, most notably a spreader.  Assuming I could
get access to the required tools (maybe from a club), is this
something that is at all doable for the amateur mechanic?  I'm
pretty handy and in no rush.  Any advice from those who have tried
it?

Thanks,
Tim