Re: differential repair

To: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Subject: Re: differential repair
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:33:27 -0400
Cc: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Tim,

The Spitfire diff is certainly DIY-able. I did mine. As for specialized
tools, the only ones you'll need are a way to keep the input flange from
turning while you are torquing the castellated nut, and a preload guage.
I improvised them both.

As for the spreader, I would actually advise against it. The potential
for mischief is great (broken diff housing, with the attendant stream of
really bad language). The gain is essentially zero. The carrier lifts
out of the housing easily, and goes back in without forcing as well if
you use the side bearing races & their shim packs as shoehorns. Try it
and you'll see what I mean.

Bill Kelly