Re: The Ultimate Compliment?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Ultimate Compliment?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:01:23 -0600 (MDT)
A number of years ago my friend Pugs was getting married, it was a fairly big
event.  Lots of relatives and friends from out of town, some serious party
time, etc.  Pugs is a car guy, not limited to Triumphs, though one of his first
cars, which he still has, is a Mark 1 Spitfire.

Anyway, the evening before the wedding at one of the parties, he was talking
about not yet deciding which car to drive up to the wedding site.  It was early
June, we were out in the back yard with the bbq, brew, etc.  So the garage was
right there, and a small parade headed in.  This entourage included his mother,
some sisters, several female friends and one or two guys.  We go in the garage,
and we see:

1967 Corvette convertible, light metallic blue, white interior, sweet!

1974 Bricklin, white, one of the few 4 speed manuals built.  Quite unusual.

1960? Herald convertible.  Ratty, rust spots, blotchy paint, torn seats.

It was *amazing* how the women in the group were pulled by some unknown and
powerful force to the Herald.  A bit later I was talking to one of the female
friends about it, and she pointed to the Corvette ragtop and said something
like "a guy driving a car like that is making up for some sort of shortcoming."
She turned to the Herald and said "A guy driving a car like that has *nothing*
to compensate for"

It was pretty interesting.  It was a great party, lots of good food, etc.
They ended up driving the Mark 1 Spit to the wedding, as there was rain in
the forecast and the Herald's wipers didn't work at the time.  It did rain
quite a bit, and it was pretty funny watching Pugs trying to stuff Diane,
decked out in 20 yards of lace and finery, into that little Spit!

mjb.