RE: Mechanical Engineering question (long, but on-topic)

Subject: RE: Mechanical Engineering question (long, but on-topic)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:02:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Don't you want to try McMaster's "Cotterless Self-locking" pin, page
> 2885 of the catalogue 106, items 90156A204 and beyond ?
> Or the "Linch pins" on the next page item 90170A650 and beyond?

Well, no, I don't.  I need a step, so that the existing hole in the luggage
rack fits snugly, as does the existing hole in the hinge.  Any looseness
here will quickly cause a problem with the rack banging up and down on rough
roads.  There's also no way to drop the linch pin locking ring into place,
with the luggage rack installed.

I suppose I could try to manufacture something similar to the "cotterless
self-locking" pin, but frankly I'm not that good a machinist.

But thanks for the thoughts.
Randall