Re: vacuum advance/retard differences?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vacuum advance/retard differences?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:35:01 -0700
>I guess the deciding question might be: Does the vacuum retard unit merely
>act like an on/off switch to kick in a few extra degrees at idle, or, when
>it is active (at idle) is the amount of retard proportional to the vacuum
Based on the ones I have seen, it acts just like an advance, that is it's
proportional.  BUT. . .  the retard unit is only active at idle (roughly
18-22 in hg).  Usually the activating port is only uncovered at idle, and
possibly just a crack above, after that the port is cut off, and the other
port is uncovered on the advance side (if so equipped) so in effect it's
action is more like a switch - the advance side is now "in control" which
will see much more  fluctuation, because of the broader range of engine
operation it is "seeing"