RE: vacuum advance/retard differences?

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: vacuum advance/retard differences?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:05:37 -0700
> I would call that overhead.  Unless the desired result of the process is
> the exhaust note then there is no primary output (forward propulsion) and
> hence all energy consumed is wasted.  Of course you could redefine the
> definitions to include battery charging but that's a bit of a streach.

As I see it, the desired result of an idling engine is to keep the engine
running.  The less fuel burned to accomplish that end, the higher the
efficiency.

Much like my refrigerator (where I don't plan to ever recover that potential
energy and do anything with it), the desired result does not have to include
work done in the classical physics sense.  The term 'efficiency' is commonly
extended to cover all cases where resources are consumed to produce a
result.

Randall