Re: vacuum advance/retard differences?

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: vacuum advance/retard differences?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:49:55 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Barry,  I beg to differ.  Since the car is producing no output at idle (it
>is merely turning itself over producing no work) the efficiency is zero
>with or without vacuum retard.
Well, lets stop and think about this a moment - it's still working,
producing power isn't it?
Just turning itself over is work (try doing it yourself just for grins and
see how easy it is to turn at say 800 rpm).  I think you'll agree that it
takes some effort.

Now, if it requires more throttle (which it will) to keep the engine
running at the same rpm that you had at optimum timing when you retard the
timing, then the engine is less efficient.  MPG doesn't factor in here, the
car is static.  However engine efficiency still applies.  The engine IS
using more fuel/air mixture but turning at the same RPM (less efficient).
This is wasted power (heat) which has to be removed by the cooling system -