Re: TR6 Odometer - Reset or Not???

To: vafred@erols.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Odometer - Reset or Not???
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:14:14 +1000 FILETIME=[AFD4C7A0:01C1475E]
Fred Thomas wrote:

>Michael, are you saying you cannot replace a broken speedo in your car, do
>new car dealers not sell complete speedo's, or better yet what do you do if
>its broken and unrepairable, just asking not doubting you. "

Here the relevant Act states that to remove and replace an odometer you have
to apply to the 'Director-General' for written approval. I guess that would
include replacing a broken speedo. As I said, this rule is probably never
really observed in practice. I can't confirm if dealers sell odometers
separately as I have never checked, however, if they want to comply with the
Act they probably don't. BTW I didn't think you were doubting me- Its a good
question!!

In Virginia you can replace a speedo and get a door jam sticker from the
state police stating the odometer was replaced and the mileage shown at that
date was xxx,when you sell the car, you state on the title "true-mileage
unkown", nothing illegal about this in anyway.

IMHO the Virginian system makes much more sense. The law has been in the
books here since 1974 so maybe its time for a realistic update ;-)

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4
Sydney, Australia