RE: Emission Stuff

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Emission Stuff
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:06:05 -0400
Randall writes:
> The early closed systems all had problems of one sort or another, IMO the
> only good alternative to an open system is a full PCV system with a filtered
> fresh air intake for the crankcase, linked to the engine air intake so that
> blowby is routed into the carbs when there is no manifold vacuum.

Does this evaluation enclude the "flat-disk" PCV valve on a '70 GT6?  It
seems to be just a "one-way" valve.  I don't know for sure (yet) but it
seems like it would release valve cover gases to the manifold only when the
pressure inside the valve is some amount greater than atmospheric.  There
seems to be no other crankcase venting.  Are you suggesting just pulling the
valve off and installing a tube to vent gases under the car or some
similarly innocuous place?

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)