RE: Emission Stuff

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Emission Stuff
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 21:10:49 -0700
> Not sure what you mean by the "road draft tube"; that's a term I've never
> heard before in all my 52 years!

Mmm, sorry, I don't know what else it's called.  "Breather tube" maybe ?
Your GT6 would probably not've had the tube, they became illegal in the US
around 1964 or so.  But most cars had them before that.  It's a largish
diameter tube (like 1.5") that communicates with the crankcase, and extends
down below the car into the air stream.  Combined with the airflow under the
car, it works to suck fresh air (and any blowby, etc.) out of the crankcase.
I'll have to check, but I'll bet the block casting has the hole, and it's
just got a plug in it.  Check near the fuel pump for something that looks
like a single smallish "freeze plug".

> However I don't have a good air cleaner
> attachment point.  It's got two K&N's, nice shiny chrome and no holes.

Just cut out that logo ! <g>

> I'm tempted just to remove it
> (especially if I can't find a replacement hose) and run a long
> hose from the
> valve cover to someplace under the car, unless you convince me of
> a better
> idea.  I'm open to suggestions...

Only other suggestion I can offer is generic PCV hose and a few strategic
copper elbows.  Just for completeness, I should probably point out that
disabling the original closed crankcase system is probably illegal, even
though the car isn't subject to inspection so you'll likely never get
caught.

Randall