RE: Emission Stuff

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: RE: Emission Stuff
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 19:31:21 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Jim Muller"
>Does this evaluation enclude the "flat-disk" PCV valve on a '70 GT6?  It
seems to be just a "one-way" valve.  I don't know for sure (yet) but it
seems like it would release valve cover gases to the manifold only when the

pressure inside the valve is some amount greater than atmospheric.<

Jim,

This valve actually maintains a slight vacuum at the crankcase connection.
It will draw air from the crankcase which will be replaced by fresh air
that leaks in through all the various imperfections in the engine.  You
know, the crank seal, the valve cover gasket, pan gasket, etc.  Some
engines actually have a fresh air filter. My 65 MGB (which had one of
these) had a small orifice in the oil filler cap.

Cheers

Dave