PDWA O-Rings - How to Measure and Where to Get 'em

To: TM Windham <twindham@txucom.net>, Harrymague@aol.com, TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: PDWA O-Rings - How to Measure and Where to Get 'em
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 08:25:48 -0400
Tom,

It's been about 2 years since I ordered those O-rings and unfortunately
I have no spares.  But, fortunately for you, the distributor is located
in Houston.

Before you run off and order, a little investigation work is in order.
In my limited study, there appears to have been about 4 different PDWA
models used on our Triumphs.  The excellent PDWA article on the VTR
pages shows one model, my '75 TR6 uses a later model PDWA, and so on.
Aside from external looks, the internal piston sizes vary, hence the
need to investigate.  The first thing you should do is to disassemble
your unit and measure the diameter of the "channel" on the piston where
the O-ring seats then measure the Cross Section (width) of the old
O-ring.  With this information, you need to determine the size of the
O-ring so check out PSP (not where you're gonna buy them) at:

 http://www.pspglobal.com/nf000series.html

and look at their "series" charts to find your size.  O-rings are
"sized" by the cross sectional diameter of the O-ring material and the
inner diameter of the ring.  For example, my O-rings are Series 000-010,
which translates to a cross-section (width) 0.070" +or- 0.003" and an
inside diameter between  a minimum 0.234", mean 0.239", and maximum
0.244".  You have to know yours before you order.

The source in Houston is American Packing and Gasket Co, www.apandg.com,
(713) 675-5271 or (800) 888-5223.  You want Ethylene Propylene (EPR)
O-rings!  Give them your measurements and they can take it from there.
FWIW, my ring's part number was E70010.

The o-rings are not expensive, on the order of $0.50 each if memory
serves.  AP&G had a minimum $5 order so I ordered a batch, actually 30,
and then offered the extra's to the list at my cost plus postage.  I
charged $1.50 for 2.  Since interest in these items do come up from time
to time, I encourage you buy a batch and offer them to the list, too.
My extra's sold out in about a month.

Good luck, Tom.  With a little effort, you too can become a PDWA
Ledend!  ;-)

Gary Klein
Digest - '75 TR6
Severn, MD
President, TRiumphs Around the Chesapeake, TRAC
www.toad.net/~gklein/TRAC/

> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 16:32:18 -0500
> From: "TM Windham" <twindham@txucom.net>
> Subject: PDWA
>
> I am looking for a couple of orings for the PDWA floating piston -
does anyone
> have some that I coupld purchase.  I had seen an old posting that Gary
Klein