Re: GT6 rebuild begins

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 rebuild begins
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:47:54 +0100
Hi Scott
Q1
I can give you some reasoned debate on this point as I have 2000 sedan and
2.5 sedan.
First the 2.5 engine is considerably heavier than the 2000, I believe the
figure is 80 lbs, but not sure. The drive train on the GT6is not really up
to the extra power, I know this from a friend who blew 2 GT6 boxes apart.
The 2000 lump is good for 6000 rpm the 2.5 will likely disintegrate if you
take it to 6000 rpm unless you are going to rework it, and then I would
recommend you invest in the 2000 lump and still have a more revvy unit. I
will admit that the 2.5 does have bags of torque, especially in the PI
format (this is what I have) and does not really require the high revs, but
I am in the process of rebuilding my 2.5 because I revved it and have done
the bearings in.
There is no denying that the longer stroke creates higher bearing loads for
the same rpm (mathematical fact), therefore the advice I would give you is
go for a sorted 2000 rather than a 2500.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision on the engines, whichever
way you go have fun.
Q2
The engines from the same era as your car should have the correct type of
crank, as this change was made across the board as far as I know.
I think it had to do with the engines being suited to automatic
transmissions for the sedan cars. Later cars had a spacer and longer bolts
so they did not have to make two types of crank.
Anyone having different knowledge on this please speak up!!!!

Graham.