TR3 Play with rear backing plate and bearings

Subject: TR3 Play with rear backing plate and bearings
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 11:57:43 -0400
Cc: "John Krause (home)" <jktr250@aol.com>, Bob Krivenko <krivenkb@pa.net>
Started back working on my TR3 restoration yesterday. I have
pulled the right side axle shaft with hub attached.  After cleaning
it up from years of dirt and gunk, I noticed that there is play
between the bearing housing and the hub.  Measuring this it
is 3/16".  The bearings are not moving but the bearing housing
does.  Is this a problem?  I could find no reference to any
measurement of this play.

Also, was the bearing housing and hub/plate all painted black?  I found
traces of black on the wheel side face of the hub.

TIA

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6