Re: TR3 Play with rear backing plate and bearings

Subject: Re: TR3 Play with rear backing plate and bearings
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 09:35:01 -0700
Scott :

Yes, it's normal for the bearing housing to be loose with the half shaft
out of the axle housing.  With the hub off of the shaft, the bearing
housing just slips off, so what you are seeing is really just the normal
space between the housing and the hub.  With both shafts assembled into
the axle casing you can measure the end float, which should be .004" to
.006".  This is covered in the appendix to the factory workshop manual.

I believe the bearing housing was painted black, but I don't know about
the hub.  I have a NOS replacement hub that is clearly "as machined"
under the preservative grease, but perhaps the factory painted the
assembly.

Randall
58 TR3A daily driver