RE: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 18:34:26 -0700
Kurtis :

They are indeed hard to get off, especially without hurting anything.  You
can bang them out usually, but at least half the time it renders the tie rod
end unfit for further service.  (The secret is to use two big hammers, one
to 'back up' the steering arm, the other to hit the stud full force.)

There is a common tool, sometimes called a 'pickle fork', that works better,
but it still almost always ruins the boot, and sometimes damages the tie rod
end.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38649

There are several less common tie rod separator tools that should work
better, like the one at
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/product1918.html
but I haven't had an occasion to use it yet <g>

Randall