Re: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4

To: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 21:42:59 -0500
>As far as "ball-parking" the toe-in... I had made measurements prior to
>disconnecting the tie rods (I did that earlier as I am also replacing the
>rubber boots on the inner tie rod ball joints), but I doubt my car was set
up
>properly to begin with.  I don't suppose there is an easy "home-brew" way
>check the toe-in setting is there?

Stick pins in the tire tread.  No, I'm serious!  Works for me.

Get a partner, a couple of pins and a tape-measure.

Put the car on a flat floor and roll it back and forth until the suspension
settles.  Leave some space open in front of the car.

Find out high off the floor you can get the tape behind the front wheels
without bending the tape on the bottom of the body.  Each of you stick a pin
in the tire tread at that level.  Measure the distance from the floor to the
pins, make sure they are the same, and write down the height.  Measure the
distance between the pins.  This is best done by the guy with the zero-end
of the tape using one or ten inches instead of the end of the tape.  Write
down the distance.  Now write down the horizontal distance from the pin to
the axle center.

Carefully move the car forward until the pins move over the top of the tires
and stop when they are the same height form the floor as they were in the
first position.  Measure the distance between the pins.

You probably don't need for me to explain the trig to convert these numbers
to degrees-per-side of toe.