Re: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4
From: "Kurtis" <kurtisj@cox-internet.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:59:09 -0700
RE: Tie Rod End Piece - TR4Jeff (and everyone else that offered assistance),

Well... I got 'em out with no damage at all.  I ended up just tapping them out
with a hammer (not even a BFH <grin>).  It took several "taps"... like around
20 per side, but they eventually broke free.  The threaded studs don't seem
damaged at all.

But... one of the rubber gaiters was indeed ripped.  I just couldn't see the
rip with all the grease while it was mounted.  I don't think these are
available by themselves, and as long as I have the things out, I suppose I'll
just go ahead and replace them.

As far as "ball-parking" the toe-in... I had made measurements prior to
disconnecting the tie rods (I did that earlier as I am also replacing the
rubber boots on the inner tie rod ball joints), but I doubt my car was set up
properly to begin with.  I don't suppose there is an easy "home-brew" way to
check the toe-in setting is there?

Thanks again (everyone) for all your help.  My car is actually in the same
room (my basement) as my computer, so it's very easy (and tempting) for me to
try out advice as soon as I receive it.  This list is a fantastic resource!

Kurtis J.
1963 TR4