Re: TR6 Push Rod??

To: Harrymague@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Push Rod??
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:08:15 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Harry:

You will probably get more expert advice from professionals on the list,
but here are my thoughts, including one you probably didn't want to
hear.

A push rod can bend for several reasons, but I believe the most common
involves a stuck valve and/or a bent valve guide. More than likely, it
was caused by one of these events.

I am a bit surprised that your average compression on a "completely
rebuilt" engine is only 120 pounds. Coincidentally, I ran a compression
check on my 75 TR6 yesterday and found the following values: 145,
145,140,140, 142, 150.  This motor has 67K miles and hasn't been
touched. Are you sure about your numbers?

Was your head rebuilt by a reputable machine shop? Did he replace the
guides, valves and seats along with the springs? Did you look at his
work in terms of the seating of the valves?

I hope my questions don't offend you. They're offered as possible
sources of your problems and I hope the answers help you in getting to
the cause of the problem. Whatever it is, I'm certain it can be fixed;
just takes time and money.

Good luck

Bob Fabie
Fredericksburg, Va
'75 TR6

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rmf3860.vcf]