Re: TR6 Push Rod??

Subject: Re: TR6 Push Rod??
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:44:32 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
bob wrote:

> A push rod can bend for several reasons, but I believe the most common
> involves a stuck valve and/or a bent valve guide. More than likely, it
> was caused by one of these events.

I'm no professional, and this certainly isn't an expert opinion, but
FWIW I agree with Bob, the most likely explanation is that the valve
guides are a little tight, and a valve temporarily hung up.  If you (or
your mechanic) switched to the popular phosphor-bronze replacement
guides, they should be reamed after installation (unlike the original
cast-iron guides).  The only way to be sure is to tear the engine down
again, and measure the clearance (by measuring the guide i.d. and the
valve stem o.d.).

However, there's at least some chance that the valve will "bed in" to
the guide, and it will never happen again.  Whether to take the chance
is up to you.

One other, less likely problem might be valve spring coil bind, perhaps
caused by the wrong spring or a high-lift cam.  If the exhaust seats
were replaced, could also be that they are a little too high.

The lifter is probably OK, but if you take the head off to check the
guide clearance, might as well pull the lifter too, and inspect it and
the cam lobe.

Randall